In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Look me in the Eye

Anyone looking for a new book might want to check out “Look me in the Eye” by John Elder Robison. This is his first book and it was just released today. I just got out of Barnes and Noble in Altoona, PA to buy my copy.
John is a great guy who I've had the pleasure to get to know a little through iATN. He's just a regular guy who owns a high end auto repair shop on the east coast but he hasn't had what most would call a regular life. As an adult he was diagnosed with Asperger's disease, a form of autism, which explained much of his “strange” behavior growing up. From what I gather he was lousy dealing with people on a face to face basis but he has a real knack for all things mechanical or electrical.

After I posted on iATN that I was leaving the repair industry in search of other things John left this heartfelt response as well as posting it on his blog.

I'm sure none of you have ever heard of John but plenty of you have probably heard of his brother Augusten Burroughs; author of Running with Scissors, Dry, Sellevision, and Magical Thinking. John is the brother Augusten often talks about in his memoirs.

Enough of me talking about John and his book. If you want the real story you can check out these links-

You can read this book description

Or you can read John's bio

You could also jump right to his blog

Or just buy it right from Amazon


Best of luck John!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know how I love books. I have read Running with Sissors, so I may have to check this out.

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.