In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Snow Bound - Part 2

If you clicked directly to this page go back and read Part 1 first

I had no plans on driving home that night so after a movie, some food, and wine we both crashed. Neither of us awoke feeling real ambitious but we decided to get a real snow shoeing adventure it anyway. We started back towards Kilen Woods state park and found the East/West roads were still drifted over as bad or worse then the day before because of the strong winds. We were finally able to find a clear route to the park though and parked at the gate since that's as far as it was plowed. It was quite cold and windy but once we got down in the woods it was calm and beautiful. Ice still clung to the tops of the trees and everything was blanketed in snow. The sun was out and shining brightly making it a pleasant jaunt as long as we were out of the wind (which we were most of the time). It looked like we were the first people to go to the park after the storm (imagine that) and we saw no other tracks except from animals. The deer were out in force and we saw quite a few of them on the hike.

This was my first time snow shoeing and I really enjoyed it. I can't imagine what it would have been like trying to hike through it without snow shoes since it was powdery and knee deep or more in many spots. The snow was deep enough that Rudy wouldn't even go out front to break the trail like he usually does; he just followed our trails everywhere and by the time we got back to the car he was really lagging behind.

Still, Rudy loves the snow and he had a great time. He even got in a snow fight with Sarah; I'm pretty sure they both think they won. It doesn't matter how cold it gets or how snowy and icy he gets Rudy always has a great time.



No comments:

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.