In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Monday, February 12, 2007

2 weeks in AZ - Part 3

I'd heard of an older couple not too far from the Chiricahuas that made a living selling rattlesnake souvenirs. Apparently they live on a dirt road in a small house and have quite a collection of stuff. I asked at the ranger station and they told me where it was, about 25 miles away near Tombstone at the old ghost town of Gleeson. I decided to make a stop even though it was out of the way to check it out and pick up a gift for Denny (the guy that takes care of my dog while I'm away). I found it without incident and it was quite a site to behold. They have about an acre of land that's just covered with “stuff“ found in the desert and gotten from neighboring ranchers. Everything from old guns found with metal detectors near Tombstone to skeletons, to old bottles and old blacksmithing equipment. You name it it was there.

I couldn't decide if I liked this one better in color or B&W. After seeing them side by side I like the B&W better though. I figured I'd let you decide for yourself so here are both versions.


Most of the rattlesnake souvenirs weren't that great. Some of it was pretty neat stuff but most of it was kinda cheesy and cheap (I guess that's to be expected for a souvenir place). I ended up buying a knife with leather sheath that had a piece of snake hide glued on, covering the front of it. Looks pretty neat but not the best quality.


Onward to Tucson!

No comments:

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.