In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Monday, February 12, 2007

2 weeks in AZ - Part 8

The last couple days of the trip were pretty uneventful and mainly included driving. The panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma, the grasslands of Kansas, and then through NW Missouri into Iowa. I did make a stop at a National reserve of long grass prairie in Kansas because I thought it would be a nice place to get out of the car for a quick hike. It was pretty anti-climactic when I got there only to find they must have had a scheduled burn of the entire prairie the previous fall. It was acres and acres of charred black with only a few pieces of green beginning to poke out. I'm sure it will be gorgeous in another month or so.

It was still worth it because on my short hike I ran across this slow poke. I've got a soft spot for turtles so I was happy to see him.

Actually there wasn't much slow poke about it. I assume it was a female and she was off to find a nice place to hide her eggs. She certainly didn't let me hold her up too much and she just motored right on along.





I took my cue from the turtle, finished my hike, and motored on back home.

No comments:

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.