In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Life is Rough

You know, it's really tough being me. I mean, it's just so danged much work! I know last time I wrote I told you how I'd arrived in Hayden and had been cooked a fine meal of steak and scallops; well the next night I had to settle for Spaghetti with home made sauce. And then today I had to spend the whole warm, sunny day out on a Pontoon boat catching some rays. It's almost more then one man can handle! Don and Gayle are doing a heck of a job showing me a good time and they've set quite a precedent that I'm not sure everyone else will be able to live up to....I hope they try though!

I found my way out for a hike Friday evening and it seems that I won't fine any shortage of trails to hike in the area. You don't have to go very far east before you find yourself in the middle of a national forest with tons of different hiking trails. It was getting late in the evening by the time I got on the trail and the sun was just starting to set but I did manage to come across another neat looking flower for Sarah to identify for me.

Friday evening was the beginning of Memorial day weekend and as I drove out of town past a lake I found the shoreline full of people fishing and once I got into the woods a little ways I found a few people camping; and it got me to wondering about something I can't help but think about every time there's a three day weekend. I'd be willing to bet money that if the weather was the same the weekend before and the weekend after that not even half of those people would be out fishing, hiking, camping, or whatever. I've never really understood why people seem to need a long weekend for motivation to get out and do something.

Sure, I can see where you might take advantage of the extra day to load up the family and drive somewhere that just wasn't practical to go with only two days. But that doesn't seem to be the case for most people. I mean, it's the same beautiful lake, the same beautiful weather, and the same lush woods. Why not get out and enjoy it more often and not wait for special occasions?

Then again, I kind of like having most of the great outdoors to myself most of the time. I'm sometimes frustrated on holiday weekends when the places I usually have all to myself are suddenly full of people. I then look forward to just your run of the mill two day weekends when I can be selfish and have it all for myself again.

So I guess maybe I shouldn't complain about these long holiday weekends; I should probably be happy it's the only time many of the smaller, out of the way places start to fill up with people.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Great story. I'm looking forward to further chapters.

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.