In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Cane you dig it?

When I hurt my knee I needed some support for walking and since I didn't have a whole lot of room in my car for crutches I figured I'd just get a cane. Now I didn't figure I'd ever be needing the use of a cane for another 5o or so years so the thought of it seemed a bit odd. But considering I could barely walk and that I was using my tripod as a makeshift cane I definitely needed to do something.

I figured if I was going to be walking around with a cane I might has well get a cool cane. Thinking an antique store would be my best bet I found one in Baker City; but they only had the plain old boring kind. I bought it anyway though because I was really in need of one. It would serve it's purpose until I could find a cane that properly fit in with my coolness. You know, a cane that would allow me to hold me head high as I hobbled down the street. Even with the boring old man cane I could see the chick magnet potential as everyone was staring at me as a walked (staggered) down main street back to my car.

Later that day I drove past another antique store so I drug myself in and asked if they had any "cool" canes. The lady said that she thought she had one that would do the trick; and then she laid it on me. It was by far the coolest cane ever brought forth on the planet. Obviously this was a custom one of a kind production; it had no equal.

With awe I beheld the beautifully sculpted dragon head handle with a green marble inset in the mouth and plastic blue eyes. The lines were supple, seductive, and my hand seemed to be a perfect fit as my fingers caressed it's contours. And it didn't stop there! The cane had a fine fake mahogany finish complete with raised red dragon inspired designs on the shaft. I couldn't look away from it and I knew it had to be mine.

It was like I was in a trance! Without thinking I dropped my old man cane to the ground, threw a wad of cash on the counter, and walked out of the stored all without taking my eyes of my newfound treasure. As I put it to use I felt as though I was walking on a cloud. No, no, like I was floating on the back of a dragon as it soared through the sky. The sun glinted off the polished finish as I strolled (gimped) down the street and I knew that I was the coolest guy in town.

My knee is improving and I no longer have a use for the cane (other then ogling it) but I did take a few pictures to immortalize it and to share its beauty and wonder with the rest of the world.

Behold!

2 comments:

J Ake said...

That's so nice it is almost worth a gimpy leg.

Anonymous said...

Alan, Alan, Alan... Man you have way to much time on your hands! That photo of you with your cool cane reminds me of Dale Dribble.

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.