In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Friday, June 1, 2007

The long and short of it

The weather has been great this week; sunny, calm, and warm. Today hit 90 and it's supposed to hold through the weekend. After I got off work tonight I kicked back a little before heading out for a hike. I did some looking on the map and found what looked to be a nice trail on the south east side of Lake Coeur d'Alene that promised a great view of the lake. I planned on hitting the top of the trail around sunset.

As I started hiking the trail through the woods before I started climbing it was starting to cool off very nicely and it was nice and dark in the forest. I noticed many wild flowers blooming but at first didn't want to stop since I'd just started my hike. As I continued on though I saw many more flowers and the whole area was just so peaceful that I couldn't help but stop for awhile. After all, isn't the point of getting out to enjoy what's around you? Why should I pass up taking it in a little just because it's at the beginning of the hike?

Well, an hour after I started my hike I'd only made it about 1/8 mile down the trail and the sun had already set. I continued on up the hill/mountain a ways still planning to reach the top for a nice late evening view of a lake. A little farther up I couldn't resist stopping for a few more pictures and after that it was too dark for me to continue much farther.

I doubt I even made it one mile in the 2 hours I was out there. Sometimes you just can't beat a long, short hike






1 comment:

bjbuell said...

The weather here has been rainy, whether we like it or not! Seriously, I bet we had over an inch of rain in a very short period this afternoon. :)We read your blog everyday, Al. Becky, Mike and Ellie are also avid readers. Keep up the good work. Love, Aunt Barb

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.