In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Friday, February 29, 2008

A Nutty Meal

Not too many years ago I was the pickiest eater you were bound to run across. If I didn't like the looks of it then I didn't eat it, and that went for a lot of things. Everyone used to give me a hard time when the family would get together for holidays because I'd pass over all the goodies on the table and eat nothing but turkey and bread. Life went on like this for many years until I made a trip to Italy changed my ways. I figured I'd enjoy my trip a lot more if I was more open to the food that I'd be served, plus I didn't want to try and make special orders in a foreign language.

So a few months before the trip I started preparing myself so it wouldn't be such a shock to my system. I began eating tomatoes, cucumbers, fruit pies, asparagus, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, peppers, and all sorts of other weird stuff. And shock of shocks I found out that this stuff was really good after all! My eyes were opened to new horizons and I became fearless, trying anything that was set in front of me.

So a couple days ago when someone came into the shop and hung up a flyer for a Rocky Mountain Oyster Feed at the Elk's lodge Friday night I started trying to round up someone to join me. Sarah was coming down this weekend but decided to push back her visit until Saturday after she heard my offer. I floated it by my dad and sister and neither of them would have anything to do with it. I sent a text message to Lyle but he conveniently couldn't get back to me until it was too late. I even rang up my grandma and grandpa that live in town and they wanted nothing to do with it either. The only person I could get to join me was Will, who my dad helps rangle cattle now and then.

There was still a pretty good crowd when we showed up towards the end of the shindig and we filled our plates with baked beans, bread, and cow testicles. As I popped the first one in my mouth I couldn't help but laugh to myself as I remembered the kid who grew up eating hamburgers everywhere he went. Look at me now!

And how were they you ask?

They were deep fat fried, how bad could they be?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're a brave man alan gage!

ps - i love that subject line! ;)

Anonymous said...

Alan, Cow don't have testicles. Ask "Rancher Roy" he'll fill you in. I hope you enjoyed them.

Alan Gage said...

OK, point taken.

But to us city slickers anything that says "moo" is a cow.

phule said...

Had some in a little place in the middle of nowhere in Colorado on the way to Denver. Pretty good if you ask me.

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.