In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Corn, Sushi, Ice Cream, and Hookers

Since we're all mid-westerners Tim, Katherine, and I had an authentic meal of hamburgers and corn on the cob Tuesday night. The corn wasn't as good as you get back home in Iowa but it was still pretty good; it was the first time I'd had a chance to eat sweet corn this year. After our traditional midwestern meal they decided that on Wednesday night they'd show me a good sushi joint. Since trying Sushi a few years back I discovered that it's actually pretty good stuff and not as scary as most people think. Growing up in a rural midwestern town there aren't a whole lot of opportunities to eat sushi so I was happy to go.

We met a couple friends of theirs at the restaurant and the food was fantastic. Since I didn't know what I wanted I ended up getting a sampler plate with a little bit of everything on it; I think my favorite was the eel. They even taught me how to use chop sticks in a semi-functional way! Unfortunately by the time I remembered to take a picture of my meal I was already half way finished with it; which I guess speaks well for the food. It's really nice being someplace where you can get fresh seafood and it's fun to eat different stuff.

After having our sushi we all piled into Katherine's Volvo wagon and headed to Baskin Robin's for some ice cream. We were all just finishing up when Katherine leaned over the table and in a hushed whisper said, “let's go find some hookers”. It seems that the ladies of the night are no stranger to Des Moines, WA and since they were showing me the sites they wanted to show me all of the sites. So we all piled back into the station wagon and started cruising up and down Pacific Highway looking for hookers. Thankfully Tim and Katherine both knew where we were most likely to find them congregating and I wasn't disappointed. I normally wouldn't have thought anything of the ladies we saw out walking around, me being so pure of mind and soul and all. But my eyes were opened as they pointed out hooker after hooker strutting the strip.

I was reminded of the story my dad told about the 1st time he went to Vegas for some convention years ago. He'd went out walking around the strip and when he came back to the hotel one of his friends asked him “what did you think of all the hookers”? My dad said he hadn't seen any hookers while he was out to which his friend replied, “what did you think they were, school teachers”?

Ahhh, fresh seafood and hookers. You just can't beat the big city.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAN! I miss good sushi. I was born and raised in Hawaii, and was raised on raw fish.

Now that I live in Baker City, I have to make my own, and fresh fish is not readily available.

The unagi (eel) is my favorite, too. Although your albacore with ponzu sauce looked pretty good.

Anonymous said...

What? No pictures of the Hookers? What a jip!!! :^)

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.