In early spring of 2007 I decided to quit my job, sell my house along with nearly everything else that I owned, and to live out of my car while traveling the country. These are my stories (and pictures) of life on the road.

Friday, July 6, 2007

Jumpin' the Border

Last night was the last night spent at Albin's place. I figured I'd drive in to Leavenworth to check out the fireworks that evening but after doing some checking around I found that no towns in the area set off fireworks for fear of forest fires. What a bunch of weinies! And they call themselves Americans!?! Instead I ran through the sprinklers (it was real hot) and shot everyone with a squirt gun to make up for not having fireworks. It cooled off nicely after the sun went down and we spent one more night hanging around the fire before going to bed. After getting everything packed up this morning I headed for my MRI appointment in Bellevue; planning to meet up with some of the guys later in the day at Harvey's house in Canada to see some of the sites and to go on a Yacht ride tomorrow.

I got to Bellevue just fine for my knee appointment and I should find out the results on Monday. I got pretty comfy just sitting there for 40 minutes during the MRI and was a little dozy when I left. I headed north from there on my way up I-5 and got about 40 miles outside Bellevue when I had to stop and take a nap. I slept for about 45 minutes, waking refreshed and ready to take on the Canadian border gaurds. Things were going along just fine until I neared the border. Traffic was backed up for over 1/2 mile and I waited in line for a little over an hour before actually reaching the border. At least it was nice weather outside with a view of the ocean. Once I reached the border I was asked a few questions and told to “park to the left, go inside, and give them your ID”. Apparently having a car converted to an apartment and not really knowing where your 'friend' in Canada lives raises a couple red flags. So I got to go into the nice little immigration office to try and convince them that I wasn't attempting to defect to Canada. I guess my story was good enough because after a couple background checks, answering the same questions 3 times, and showing them the printed directions to Harv's house they let me through. I had no intention of defecting to Canada but after being accused of it the degenerate in my wants to just for spite. If there's one thing I'm good at it's doing things for spite. I'll save those stories for another time though.

Anyway, I'm now firmly entrenched in Canada for the next few days and I don't really know what it will hold in store for me. I know we get to go out on a big boat tomorrow but I'm not sure where at. I'm sure I'll have a great time and can't wait to finally spend the $6 in Canadian money that's been in my ash tray for the last 2 years. Pat and Harvey cooked us a great meal tonight and we spent the evening just sitting on the porch and chatting. I've been getting pretty spoiled on my trip so far and I don't know if I'll ever be able to get a real job again.


Danny said...

Harvey's got a yacht?!?

Alan said...

You mean you don't? I thought every tech had a big yacht...

Actually it belongs to Steve's sister and brother in law

Edith said...

Hey Al Well Lyle did his regular hoopla of fireworks here in Iowa. Next year I think I need to take control. He is just to close to people and the house. All went well though. Well this weekend I will be camping the first time in fifteen years. Hopefully I will survive.

Alan said...

Where are you going camping?

Don't get ate by anything.

You've reached the end of the page but that's not the end of the stories. If you want to read more (and who wouldn't!?) then click on the archive links to the right hand side of the page. They're listed by month; the adventure starts in May.

The February archives aren't actually from this trip but are previous adventures I've had, which are worth reading as well.